A Unique Counter

24 05 2012

I gave a sneak peak of what the bar top was going to look like a few weeks ago.  Instead of a boring old kitchen counter top, I went with a design of hardwood flooring.  Now that this phase is done, it looks really good.  It wasn’t without adventure, however.  I bought a bundle of unfinished hardwood flooring in a quantity of about 20 square feet, which should have been plenty considering the dimensions of about 7.5 feet by 2.75 feet.  All told, the area of the bartop is about 18 square feet.  I should have had plenty of flooring, right?  Well, not really.  Here’s why.

The design was a series of diagonal zigzags.  So every place the flooring met the edge of the bar resulted in a triangular piece of waste.  The implications of this didn’t make itself apparent until I started getting close finish.  At one point, when I had only 2 long pieces of unused wood left, I calculated that I had about 330 square inches left to fill in on the bar top.  I then calculated that I had only about 310 square inches of  uncut wood left.  I was able to use some of the triangular scraps to fill in places and do it in such a way that it looks natural.  Not it only did I end up with enough, but the result of this particular area looked much better than if I hadn’t used the scraps.

With that said, the next step is applying a couple coats of polyurethane on the sides and applying the bar top epoxy to seal in the hardwood floor top.  Until then, cheers!

What a look

The angles give the top quite the character

Advertisements

Actions

Information

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: