The Big Flush

30 11 2012

The exhilaration I felt after finally carpeting the basement and finishing some of the last odds and ends are finally coming to an end.  It’s been over 2 years since I started the basement, and I’m finally wrapping up the final projects that will make the basement officially “done”.  The last project on this list was finishing the bathroom.  Back in July we set a goal to have the bathroom finished by October so that I didn’t have to spend my time working on it while also adjusting to the adventure of fatherhood.

Long story short…

We are finished with the bathroom! (the birth of my son, Connor, on October 19 is the reason I have not gotten to writing anything until now.  Who would have thought that such a little guy would require so much time?)

Short story long…

The bathroom has a long, complicated history.  In July of 2011, I had to dig out the shower drain in order to align the drain with the shower tray.  Starting in about May of 2012, I started drywalling the interior walls and ceiling.  Preceding from there, I tiled the floors in July.  Then in August I finally got around to installing a shower stall that I had bought over a year earlier.  With the help of a carpenter friend, I was able to do the plumbing myself, which saved me well over $300 that it would have cost for a plumber.  Speeding forward, I finished mudding the walls (mudding is still no fun, but at least I had a lot less to do this time).  By the end of August we had paint on the wall and functional toilet.

Installing a toilet is yet another project that is a lot easier than I would have imagined.  The drain pipe was already in place, and the water pipes were installed.  I put the stop valves in place and the last thing that I needed to do was actually install the toilet.  After much deliberation and a lot of research, I one night decided just to go down and tackle the project head on.  There really was almost nothing to it.  The hardest part (which really isn’t that hard) is making sure you get the bowl lined up in such a way that it is square to the wall.  Other than that, I just had to put the wax ring in place, fix the bowl to the flange, and secure the tank in place.  After hooking up the water, I had a brief ceremonial moment before performing the inaugural flush, to much jubilation.  (As a side note, the toilet brand is called “the Diplomat”, which I’m not sure if that label refers to the toilet or the user, but that’s for a different discussion)  Happy flushing!

After that I installed a vanity, 2 mirrors (one was too small, so I had to remove it and install a bigger one, hence 2 mirrors), and a linen cabinet.  The vanity was white and so was the linen cabinet.  However, the linen cabinet was a slightly different shade of white.  Luckily the white paint I used for the trim and the doors was virtually an exact match to the vanity, so I painted the white linen cabinet white (or white-er, I guess) to match.

White vanity, white linen cabinet, white toilet, white trim

White vanity, white linen cabinet, white toilet, white trim

Adding a bit of color to our bathroom.

Adding a bit of color to our bathroom.

I finished everything up in the bathroom with just a couple weeks to spare until the due date our first child.  The bathroom project was in a way a triumph of everything I had done in the basement as a whole.  Not only did I put to use a lot of the skills I learned doing the whole basement (like drywall, mudding, tile, and trim), I acquired a few new skills as well (like plumbing).  On top of this, for the bathroom we actually sat down and mapped out everything that we needed to complete it before hand (including all the parts, labor needs, and resources), and I came up with an estimated budget to go along with it.  Unlike the rest of the basement where I never planned more than one step in advance, the bathroom had a very specific road map that I laid out for myself.  Thanks to this, I was able to keep impeccable records, and actually spent significantly less than what I even had planned on spending along with finishing almost to the day of the deadline I had set for myself several months earlier!  I now have a model with which all future projects can be managed.  Of course, I have no more major projects to undertake so it probably will never be used, but alas, I have a model!

Advertisements

Actions

Information

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: